Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Traffic me Edmonton! First spark!

Okay, so I was taking the bus into Edmonton this morning, you know, doing the usual commute when I happened to look up from my ipod induced oblivion to realize that we had stopped moving. So St. Albert from as far back as I can remember has never had really bad traffic which makes it frustrating for me to go into Edmonton. There is so much traffic on 137 ave and "St. Albert Trail" (which brings me onto a tangent, ok! there is nothing like confusing anyone from not around Edmonton by making the road St. Albert Trail, Mark Messier, St. Albert Road, St. Albert Trail, St. Albert Road... in that order!) so if there is any kind of accident you are screwed and might as well call your first class a write off. Today however was the day I realized that there is bottlenecked traffic from 118th ave traffic circle and "St. Albert Trail". This is why I end up late for my first class when it snows!! Stupid bottleneck. I mean, come on! I don't really drive and I can relate to Jane Jacobs. If there was less roads going into the one centralized area we would be better off, we need to start thinking on a mirco level instead of the macro. This reminds me of L.A. actually. I was in California a couple of summers ago and the best invention I have ever heard of is a carpool lane. We would pass the cars going slower because there were 5 of us in the minivan, and of course being teenagers straight out of highschool...we totally pointed and laughed. However, even with this lane for car pooling traffic in L.A. it is ridiculous how bloody awful the traffic is there! This round about talk is how I basically want to say, I now have a greater appreciation for St. Albert and its named streets and its NO traffic. *Even if I dislike living here* :P Until next time ~Emmy

1 comment:

  1. When I lived in St. Albert, all I could think was "Wow, I can't go ANYWHERE." I grew up in the west-side of Edmonton, my friends all near the big mall. Living in St. Albert, in Regency Heights, I realized how far away I was from everything. Sure there was no traffic, but there was nothing to go to! At the time my parents were juggling companies, and owned two daycares. This allowed my family to own a bus, which we had to use to ferry my friends over for birthday parties, because we lived in St. Albert! In terms of macro and micro destinations (this class is a lot about micro and macro things, isn't it?), I don't know if its the foundation and framework that Edmonton is built on that is the problem. In a major city with one of the world's least dense populations, maybe the infrastructure is to be blamed.

    More mini-Walmarts rather than one huge one would not only help commuters, but at the same time, less old people would die from heatwaves or cold...waves.

    Today's comment brought to you by iPod, bringing you dazed stupors and induced oblivions one ear at a time.

    ReplyDelete