Monday, February 9, 2009

parade:A large gathering of tourists, orientals, or small teenage girls. Usually offending people by their presence.

“Citizens of the Streets: Parties, Processions, and Revolutions” was a prime example of what I have missed in my now twenty three years of existence. I never realized how important it was for me to be a part of that Remembrance Day parade when I was a young girl, all I could think of was people looking at me in my dorky Girl Guide uniform. It is important though, I now know that. My cousin two weeks ago graduated from the Marines, my mom describes it as an awe inspiring event. She said she almost cried when she saw 500 uniforms walking in formation, especially when she thought of what could happen to them. It was an important event for so many people, but before I would not have thought anything about it. I can remember being in school and wanting to go protest student rights so badly with my friends. Everyone had left school except for me and another girl in my class, we had been left behind because our parents would have murdered us if we had left school to protest. I had wanted to be involved, to have my voice heard and my feet to pound the pavement but I was unable too. I remember yelling at my parents for weeks after saying "Damn the Man!". To be a part of that group of people walking toward a certain goal would just be amazing, I want to be apart of something bigger than myself and hopefully one day I can be.

~* Definition of Parade brought to you by the lovely people at urbandictionary.com

1 comment:

  1. I too felt after reading this chapter that I have missed much in having not (yet) attended a parade with such significance as some of the events that Solnit has talked about. It made me feel sheltered... it definitely sounds like an experience that everyone should be a part of at least once in their lives.

    ReplyDelete