Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Edmonton... Edmon-mum!

The other day we were in our "World Cafe" and we talking about Edmonton personified. I decided that if Edmonton was a human, she would be a mum. Now I know it seems kind of silly but I decided a little while ago that Edmonton was a mum. She can be all sorts of different kinds of mum, a cool mum, a hippie mum, a business mum or even a farming mum. She can from all different kinds of cultures or backgrounds and still be our mum. I think of Edmonton as a mum mainly because being from St. Albert, makes me feel like she is always looking out for us. I feel like as St. Albert we are that child that mum's thought was such a darling as a child but now we are teenagers and are being rebellious. We refused to be annexed, we even tried to pull the..."Why don't you become St.Albert?!?!" like the little brats we are. We are spoiled and whine a lot, but Edmonton is still makes the rules and plans fun stuff for the summer so we have something to do. Edmonton has other children too, and keeps some of us close... because some of her children went wild *Fort Mac*, some of her children just decided it was time to go, or be closer to their father once Edmonton and Calgary got a divorce and now they battle over everything! Edmonton, to me, has always been a feminine city (probably because of the culture and art). Calgary is more likes a dad, with it's stampede and the sprawl of the city. I don't know, thinking about Edmonton as a mum makes me feel comforted...probably because I am from her spoiled child and always feel like Edmonton will take me back under her wing.

3 comments:

  1. That's fun! You know you've inspired my blog. That exercise that we did in class was pretty cool. Although I have a different interpretation of Edmonton Personified.

    It's fun to anthropomorphize things. It can really help to understand things or concepts.

    For example we all know someone who is the living embodiment of...I don't know...Postmodernism.

    I would picture a group of identical hippy goth teenagers who don't know themselves but who mock the cool kids with the use shallow imitations...

    What's also interesting is what theses creations say about the people who make them up.

    Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Lorin, that was fun!

    I really like how you decided that Edmonton and Calgary were once married but now they are rivals as a result of divorce.

    Haha, yes and thank you for characterizing St. Albert as the spoiled child. Since I didn't grow up in Edmonton but for some reason I also thought of St. Albert as the 'rich' 'spoiled' area of the city. Not sure why.

    Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your blog. You made some really great arguments for why you see Edmonton as "the mom", although I have not thought of Edmonton that way at all. In fact, I have a hard time deciding on the gender of Edmonton. In general I find it very hard to personify a city. It always depends on your own view on the city and your blog showed that very nicely.

    ReplyDelete